Exit Intent Targeting
The exit-intent trigger is a behavioral technology that helps you detect visitors who attempt to leave a web page, then triggers a popup campaign to win them back.
So whether you want to keep them engaged on your website as much as possible or reduce your cart abandonment rate, you can set it in seconds and reach your conversion goals.
How It Works
On desktop devices, the exit-intent technology determines visitor behavior based on the user’s mouse movements. You can set the trigger’s sensitivity (low, medium, or high) to show visitors a targeted message depending on the intensity of their mouse movement speed.
On mobile, the technology works differently. It detects the exit intent based on the scroll speed upward of the page.
Note that to display your popup on mobile, you need to activate it for mobile devices.
How to Set Up the Exit-Intent Trigger
1. Log in to your Popupsmart dashboard. Edit the campaign you want to add the trigger to or click on the “Create a New Popup” button to create a new one.
2. On the popup builder screen, navigate to the “Segment” section and click “Edit Segment.” (If it’s a new campaign, click the two circular arrows to choose a predefined segment or create one from scratch in “My Segment.”)
3. Click "Add user behavior targeting" under "User Behaviour".
4. Click “Add” next to the Exit Intent.
5. Set up the sensitivity from the dropdown menu. Sensitivity is related to the distance of the cursor to the close icon.
• If you set it to low, the cursor needs to be very close to the close icon to trigger the exit-intent popup.
• If you set it to high, even the slightest attempt to leave the page will trigger the popup.
• Arranging it to medium works best for most cases unless you have other specific goals.
6. That’s it. Click the “Save” button from the upper-right corner if all is done. You can continue with the “Publish” step from the left-hand menu to see the Summary Targeting.
❗️Note: Make sure to check your campaign’s status from the Dashboard. If switched off, the campaign is deactivated or vice-versa.
Exit-Intent for E-commerce
Typically, the most common use case of the exit-intent trigger in e-commerce is reducing cart abandonment. Store owners target shoppers who attempt to leave with items left in their cart before completing the purchase.
You can use the trigger to show targeted campaigns like
• Coupon code
• Special discount offer
•An invitation to start a chat with your support agent
• Lead magnet to get them to join your email list
Articles you might like:
• 55 Exit Intent Popup Examples to Increase Conversions
• Double Your Conversions with an Exit-Intent Popup
Exit-Intent for Content Marketing
Another common use case of Popupsmart’s exit-intent technology is for content marketing or growing your email list. Oftentimes, website owners set a campaign trigger on their content pages to target readers with a special offer, such as
• Signup free for a webinar
• Download a free case study or an ebook
• Book a consultancy call
Articles you might also like:
• How Much Does Lead Generation Cost?
• Email Marketing Beginner to Advanced Roadmap
Feeling stuck? Contact us, and we’ll give you a hand.