Popupsmart's easy-to-use popup builder and user-friendly interface make it simpler to create conversion-ready popups in just a few minutes.
This guide will provide you with all the necessary information on how to get started with Popupsmart. Moreover, once you log in to your dashboard, you’ll meet your onboarding guide. Then, you can follow the onboarding steps to create your first campaign successfully.
# 1. Sign in to your Popupsmart Dashboard.
- If you haven’t created any campaign yet, you’ll see an onboarding screen on your dashboard. Next, you can watch the product walkthrough video for a quick tour and proceed with the Installing Popupsmart step.
# 2. Once you click on Installing Popupsmart, you will see your unique embed code. There are multiple ways to embed the code on your website and install Popupsmart:
The instructions for each option are available on your onboarding screen, as in the image below.
# 3. To embed the code on your website manually, click the Copy to Clipboard button.
- You can do the same process by hovering over your Account from the top right corner of your dashboard and clicking on Your Embed Code. This will open a modal containing your unique code (the same as the one on your 3rd onboarding step).
# 4. Open a new tab on your browser and go to your website admin panel. Find the template file of your website and paste the embed code just before the closing of the <body> tags.
- This process may vary depending on your CMS, CRM, or website builder. We have a guide for many of them. You can find them from the footer of our website or see the Integrations page or see our YouTube channel.
# 5. If you want to install Popupsmart using Google Tag Manager, follow the steps below.
- Click the “New” button on GTM.
- Add a new tag as “Custom HTML” and put the embed code.
- Add a new trigger, choosing “All Page Views,” then save and publish!
Important: If you don’t want Popupsmart to count all your website traffic but just the pages with the popup, choose the trigger configuration differently in GTM as in the following image. You can set it to either All Page Views or Some Page Views.
# 6. Once your installation is complete, you need to add your website to your Popupsmart account. Go to your Popupsmart dashboard > Account > Websites.
- Click on Add new website. Note that Free Plan users can add only one website. To add multiple domains, you need to upgrade your plan.
- Enter your website URL from the opening modal and click Save.
# 7. Next, go back to the dashboard and click the Create a new popup button to create your campaign.
- Select your business objective.
- Give your campaign a name and choose a domain/s for your campaign from the dropdown menu. Then, click Save & Close to proceed to the builder screen.
# 8. Select a template for your popup from Layouts. You can change the business goal from the dropdown menu to see different layouts.
- All templates are fully customizable. See our Popup Showcase to clone more templates.
- Scroll down to choose your popup type (Light Popup, Full-Screen Popup, Sidebar Popup, Floating Bar) and the position of your popup (screen position as it will look on your website).
- Optionally, you can add a success popup and/or a teaser popup on this step and customize them all in the Customize section.
# 9. Click on the Customize section to access all customization options.
- You can tweak the elements on your popup as you like, add new form fields and countdown timer.
- This is also where you can customize your Success and Teaser popups if you activate them.
# 10. Click on the Target section, the 3rd step, from the left vertical bar. This is where you will be setting up audience targeting and popup triggers such as exit-intent or after-scroll.
- To learn more about targeting features, visit this page.
- You can schedule your campaign, activate your popup for mobile devices (Visitor Device), and set the view frequency on this step as well.
- Either configure the targeting settings manually or turn the Smart Mode toggle on to activate AI-backed automated targeting.
# 11. Click on the 4th step, Publish section, from the left vertical bar. Make sure your website is verified first. See the related documentation to learn how.
- You’ll need to verify all the websites you added to your account in order to show popups on them. Verification works only if you correctly embed the Popupsmart installation code on your website.
- After completing the verification, you can continue the remaining settings from the Publish section on the builder. Click on Integrations to connect your popup with your email marketing service.
Additional optional settings:
# 12. Lastly, Save your popup to publish it later or click on Save & Close to set it live right now.
Good to Know:
- You can find the analytics of your campaign from the bar > Analytics.
- Leads information collected with your campaign is listed in your Leads Table, on the top bar > Leads Table.
- If you want your campaign to show up on your live website make sure your popup status is on. Dashboard > Campaign Status Toggle > On/Off
- Use the Preview option to see how your popup looks on your site first without publishing it. (The eye icon on the right-middle menu on the popup editing screen)
- Use the Debug Mode to see why your popup doesn’t show up or detect issues. (The bug icon under the eye icon.)
Feeling stuck? See our help documentation or contact us.